Welcome! Below you’ll find out about some of my favorite books, movies, and more…but don’t be surprised if you come back to find I’ve altered a few (or many!) things. I’m terrible about forgetting all kinds of awesome stuff when it comes to making lists like this. BE YE WARNED!!
ON TO THE FANDOMS!
BOOKS AND AUTHORS:
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte – This book has my heart. Jane has my heart. Mr. Rochester has my…heart? *wink*
- Anything and everything by JRR Tolkien – I fell in love with The Hobbit as a kid, and flew through LOTR as a teen. As an adult, I’ve developed a deep respect for and passionate interest in Tolkien’s academic work, specifically his translations of Sigurd and Beowulf.
- Norse mythology – I know, I know; it’s not a book or an author, but I love to read it and it’s awesome.
- Gothic Lit, old and new, especially ghost and haunted house stories – Shirley Jackson, Richard Matheson, Oliver Onions, Edward Bulwer-Lytton, Peter Straub, Henry James…you get the idea.
- All Jane Austen, especially Northanger Abbey (Gothic, whaaa!!)…except I kinda don’t like Mansfield Park. It gives me anger.
- Stephen King – The Shining is a revelation. And On Writing changed my world when I first started writing. Basically, I believe King is a great storyteller, and anyone who claims otherwise has probably only seen the movies. I’m completely biased here and I’m okay with that.
- The Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling – I was really late to this game, but I’m forever changed.
- NEIL GAIMAN – I met him. Twice. Rocked both times.
- William Shakespeare – Sonnet 116 exists because of that man…you know?
MOVIES & DIRECTORS:
- Jane Eyre – All of them. But especially the newest one. Because Michael Fassbender. Like, both Rochester and Jane are way too pretty in this version, but like, I don’t even care though.
- Pan’s Labrynth – and pretty much anything else with Guillermo Del Toro’s name on it.
- ZOMBIES!!! Zack Snyder’s Dawn of the Dead was pretty good, but I prefer the really, really bad ones that lurk in the dark corners of my Netflix queue.
- GHOSTS!!! –The Awakening is very good. So is the original The Haunting. And The Orphanage.
- Period. Pieces.
- Aliens – near SciFi perfection. And still scary as heck. Ripley is my homegirl.
- Funny stuff – Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Junior, Bridesmaids, The Other Guys, etc.
- SUPERHEROES!!! – Thor (obvi), The Avengers, Man of Steel, The Amazing Spiderman, Captain America, the whole lot.
- Honestly, trying to make this list is a ridiculous waste of time, because I love film as a storytelling medium and could never make a comprehensive list of everything I am interested in here. There’s just too much.
- Sherlock – I came for Martin Freeman, but I stayed for Benedict Cumberbatch. Hello, darling.
- Downton Abbey, Call the Midwife, The Bletchley Circle, Bomb Girls, The Grand, Upstairs Downstairs, Miss Marple, Hercule Poirot, etc. – I have a thing for period pieces and British mysteries. Leave me alone.
- Doctor Who – Ten is my Doctor. And I want to be BFFs with Donna Noble. AND HE SHOULD NEVER CRY BECAUSE THEN I CRY AND THE TEARS NEVER END, OKAY?!
- Supernatural – I am currently rewatching it from the beginning with my youngest brother, and I spend most of the time watching him to make sure he gets all the good stuff and obscure references that I’ve gleaned from my multiple viewings of every episode. Also: I forgot how long it takes for Bobby to join the show as a regular. God bless Bobby. (Author’s Note: I once gave Lady Foxcraft a book of Dean pictures and quotes for her birthday. I made it myself. I AM NOT ASHAMED.)
- Joss Whedon – All of it. Everything. I once dated a guy who thought Whedon was a hack. It didn’t work out.
- Ghost Hunters, Ghost Hunters International, Ghost Adventures, Destination Truth…. – Did I mention I like ghosts?
- NORTH AND SOUTH – Richard Armitage may or may not have invented the smolder. Because daaaaaaang.
- Left 4 Dead
- Left 4 Dead 2
- Team Fortress 2
- Old School stuff – I’m pretty unbeatable on Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter (much to my brothers’ collective chagrin), and I’m still proud of my extensive list of “beaten” games: all the Mario Bros., all the Donkey/Diddy Kong variations, Metal Gear Solid (“Snake! Snake! SNAAAAAAAKE!!!!!), Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, MONKEY BALL (and no controllers were crushed to dust in the completion of those games…by me, anyway), Silent Hill, Resident Evil, etc. etc. etc.
I also am crazy about crochet, am addicted to professional hockey, have been proposed to thrice based on my baked goods alone, take dance breaks when I’m writing, am kinda obsessed with my hair, and love running, boxing, and weight lifting!